In an effort to improve safety conditions for all pedestrians throughout Arizona, GOHS places special emphasis on funding projects related to the enforcement of pedestrian safety laws, school-based pedestrian safety education programs and coalitions dedicated to comprehensive pedestrian safety programs.
Highway Safety Focus - October 2012 Issue
- Pedestrian Deaths in 2001: 4,901
- Pedestrian Deaths in 2012: 4,743 (NHTSA Traffic Safety Facts)
- Reduction in pedestrian deaths between 2001 and 2012: 3.2 percent
- Pedestrian Injuries in 2001: 78,000
- Pedestrian Injuries in 2012: 76,000 (NHTSA Traffic Safety Facts)
- Reduction in pedestrian injuries between 2001 and 2012: 2.5 percent
- The total cost of pedestrian death and injury among children ages 14 and younger is $5.2 billion per year (Safe Kids Worldwide).
Arizona Department of Transportation Bicycle and Pedestrian Program (June 2013)
Motorist/Pedestrian Share the Road Guide (2011 Edition)