In an effort to improve safety conditions for all pedestrians throughout Arizona, GOHS places special emphasis on funding projects related to the enforcement of pedestrian safety laws, school-based pedestrian safety education programs and coalitions dedicated to comprehensive pedestrian safety programs.
Highway Safety Focus - October 2012 Issue
- Pedestrian Deaths in 1997: 5,321
- Pedestrian Deaths in 2010: 4,280 (NHTSA Traffic Safety Facts)
- Reduction in pedestrian deaths between 2001 and 2010: 13 percent
- Pedestrian Injuries in 1997: 77,000
- Pedestrian Injuries in 2010: 70,000 (NHTSA Traffic Safety Facts)
- Reduction in pedestrian injuries between 1997 and 2007: 9 percent
- The total cost of pedestrian death and injury among children ages 14 and younger is $5.2 billion per year (Safe Kids Worldwide).